Little did I know

Little did I know I would get such a kick out of knitting! In March of 2010 some of my girlfriends were planning to get together for dinner and “knitting.” I told them I wanted to learn to knit. So they told me all I needed was #7 knitting needles and yarn. A couple days before we were to get together I went to the craft store and bought my yarn and needles. While there I came across a knitting instruction book, Learning to Knit in Just One Day by Jean Leinhauser. g g g I couldn’t wait. I was so curious, excited just to try. Stitch by stitch I learned first to cast on. Stitch by stitch I learned then to knit. And stitch by stitch I moved on to purl. What a riot. It was so fun to see the rows taking shape. At dinner my girlfriends taught me their tricks and encouraged me. g g g I then discovered Knitting Tips by Judy YouTube videos. She is a great teacher! Check her out for any stitches you want to learn or need to clarify. I was amused as I learned more and my husband would genuinely pat me on the back every time (yes, every time) I played “show and tell” with my new projects. g g g So, thank you to my teachers, my friends and my husband for sharing this joy with me.

g g “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” – Father James Keller g g

Monday, October 29, 2012

Confetti Cowl

Yet, another cowl :)  
I made a new cowl using two contrasting colors of pink and gray, which I love.  I also inserted two other pieces of yarn, different shades of the gray and pink.  This is a simple way to be creative while you are knitting and you don't need to purchase more yarn.  A thought is to see what is in your bag-o-yarn (or bathtub-o-yarn, ok, maybe you have a closet-o-yarn...I'll stop now) and add some interest to your project.  My example looks like flecks of color....kind of like confetti.

Confetti Cowl

Size 13 needles

Cast on 46 stitches
This pattern uses Garter stitches  (knit on both RS right side and WS wrong side of project) for three rows on the top and bottom edges.  
I then did a Stockinette stitch (knit on RS and purl on WS) throughout the body of the project.  

Eyelet Rows:
You can insert eyelet rows where you like.  In the middle I did two eyelet rows, which I have outlined below.  You will see that I did just the first eyelet row about a quarter of the distance from the top and then the bottom.  

Eyelet Row 1: (RS) K2, *Yo, k2tog* between * to the end, K last two stitches
Eyelet Row 2: (WS) Purl
Eyelet Row 3: (RS) K3, *Yo, k2tog* between * to the end, K last three stitches

This pattern is knit in one piece and seemed in the back to finish.









No comments:

Post a Comment