Little did I know

Little did I know I would get such a kick out of knitting! In March of 2010 some of my girlfriends were planning to get together for dinner and “knitting.” I told them I wanted to learn to knit. So they told me all I needed was #7 knitting needles and yarn. A couple days before we were to get together I went to the craft store and bought my yarn and needles. While there I came across a knitting instruction book, Learning to Knit in Just One Day by Jean Leinhauser. g g g I couldn’t wait. I was so curious, excited just to try. Stitch by stitch I learned first to cast on. Stitch by stitch I learned then to knit. And stitch by stitch I moved on to purl. What a riot. It was so fun to see the rows taking shape. At dinner my girlfriends taught me their tricks and encouraged me. g g g I then discovered Knitting Tips by Judy YouTube videos. She is a great teacher! Check her out for any stitches you want to learn or need to clarify. I was amused as I learned more and my husband would genuinely pat me on the back every time (yes, every time) I played “show and tell” with my new projects. g g g So, thank you to my teachers, my friends and my husband for sharing this joy with me.

g g “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” – Father James Keller g g

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Heartfelt Shawl

Welcome to October.  Even on the central coast it is getting a little cooler with the shorter days setting in.  So, with fall upon us it is a perfect time to make a shawl, throw or afghan.  The one pictured below is the Heartfelt Shawl by lionbrand.com.  I made this one for Auntie Isabelle.  This is a simple knit pattern.  I used size 10 needles  and 3 skeins of Lion Brand Homespun yarn in Painted Desert.  I like this pattern because of the subtle design.  While the changing colors of the yarn run across the shawl, can you see the lines that run the length of the shawl?  

Since this is a free pattern I am going to share it below.  

Heartfelt Shawl:

Cast on 63 stitches
Row 1: (Knit 3, purl 3) until last 3 stitches, knit 3.
Row 2: (Purl 3, knit 3) until last 3 stitches, purl 3.
Repeat these 2 rows until piece measures about 60 in. (152.5 cm) Bind off.
To finish weave in ends.

Note:  I found it helpful to think about Row 2 as actually knitting the purl stitches from Row 1 and purling the knit stitches.  





No comments:

Post a Comment